(Powerful Opportunities for Women Eager and Ready for Science Engineering and Technology)
POWER SET is a unique program for young women with an aptitude for or interest in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). These programs provide the educational tools,encouragement,and mentoring needed to help students pursue educational and career opportunities in STEM areas. The program is open to 11th and 12th grade students.
These programs offer secondary students:
• Trips to universities, medical facilities, industry sites, museums, NASA, etc.
• Access to industry representatives who mentor members and provide professional preparation activities
• Scholarship, job shadowing, and internship opportunities
Who can join POWER SET?
To be eligible for POWER SET membership, students must meet the following guidelines:
- 11th or 12th grade at Columbia High School
- 3.5 GPA Unweighted
- Enrolled in college readiness classes (dual-credit, AP, advanced-honors)
- Commended achievement on the STAAR test in the areas of Math and Science
- Exceptional citizenship
Power GRID: Girls Responding to Industry Demands
Our Power GRID programs provide preteens with positive high school student mentors from the POWER SET organization to help cultivate leadership skills, boost character development, and encourage STEM subject interest.
This student mentoring program engages POWER SET members with girls in primary and middle schools, sparking interest in STEM studies at an early age. A range of academic and non-academic activities helps create a collaborative and nurturing relationship with secondary student mentors. In addition to encouraging STEM studies, this type of interaction has been shown to cultivate leadership skills and improve self-esteem in pre-teen girls.
This program is made possible by the following:
Nuclear Power Institute
Texas A & M University
Texas Engineering Experiment Station
South Texas Nuclear Operating Company